Are you getting ready to put your house on the market? Or maybe you are looking for a little refresh to your home. Whatever the reason, here are our top 7 tips for de-cluttering your home!
1. Create a de-clutter checklist. Breaking down your decluttering sessions into smaller chunks will feel less overwhelming and make the goal of having a clean house more attainable.
2. Clear off flat surfaces. Don’t hold onto that paper clutter! If you have receipts you need to keep, take pictures and upload them to your cloud. All old bills or papers can be shredded and request online billing going forward.
3. Re-sell and donate! Use the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time, we only wear 20% of our clothes. Same can probably be said for video games, electronics, books, etc. Now the next step is to get rid of the things you don’t use 80% of the time. You may choose to donate these items or sell them on Marketplace.
4. Invest in practical storage solutions. Go to Ikea or your favorite retailer and look for storage solutions that work for you. It can be a simple basket for your shelf to installing some permanent shelves or investing in a closet organization system.
5. Set an expiry date on items. Sometimes we hold onto items to be able to squeeze one more use out of them, or you think ‘what if I am going to need this all of a sudden?’. Chances are, you probably won’t. If you have not used something or thought about it in 6-12 months, you can probably get rid of it.
6. Schedule a junk pick-up. By booking this, it will hold you accountable to get through your stuff. You may be surprised with how many things you have been holding onto ‘just-in-case’. A bin makes it easy to get rid of small to large items at one time.
7. Keep ‘like’ things together. Store each category of item close to where you will actually use them, this way you know where they are quickly when they need to be used. Categorizing items as you go through them will ensure you are the most efficient.